Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Soup with Mint Leaves

Ginger-Scented Tomato and Cabbage Soup with Fresh Mint

4 ounces small pasta, such as alphabets
1/4 Cabbage chopped
2 onions, coarsely chopped
3-5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 small carrot, diced
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
10-15 fresh mint leavessalt,
black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste

Cook the pasta, drain and set aside.

Lightly sauté the onion and garlic in butter until softened. Stir in the ginger and carrot and cook for a few moments; add tomatoes, broth and cabbage. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender (15-20 minutes). Adjust seasoning.

Ladle the soup over several spoonfuls of pasta per person. Season each portion with a sprinkling of fresh mint and serve immediately.

I couldn't find alphabet pasta, so I just served the soup as is. I also made some revisions, instead of vegetable broth I used shrimp cubes (hehe). I thought I have cayenne pepper too, but I was mistaken so I used paprika. I was so worried what it might taste like with all the unusual substitutes I used but was surprised that my kids like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home